1. UAVHub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  2. The A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)

What can I do with an A2 CofC if my drone weighs between 500g - 2kg

You can fly in areas used for residential, commercial, industrial and recreational purposes and stay 50m away from uninvolved people

People flying drones that are between 500g-2kg will need to do the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service (DMARES) to get their Flyer ID (this is free). Once you have your Flyer ID you will then benefit from getting an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC) from a certified company such as UAVHUB.

Once you hold an A2 CofC you will be able to fly these drones in areas used for recreational, industrial, residential and commercial purposes. You must always maintain unaided visual line of sight with the drone and you must stay at least 50 metres away from uninvolved people (people who aren't involved with your flight!) and you cannot overfly uninvolved people.

If you choose not to get an A2 CofC, you will need to:

  • Do the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service and get your Flyer ID
  • Stay 150 metres away from congested areas
  • Stay a minimum of 50 metres away from uninvolved people

You can also fly commercially with or without the A2 CofC.

Examples of drones in this category are:

    • DJI Mavic 3
    • DJI Mavic 2 (Pro or Zoom)
    • DJI Mavic (1st generation)
    • DJI Mavic Air 2
    • Autel EVO II
    • DJI Phantom 4