1. UAVHub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  2. What training do you need for your drone?

What drone training do I need to fly the DJI Avata or Avata 2 in the UK?

To fly the DJI Avata you need complete the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. If you want to fly closer to people you need to complete the A2 CofC Drone Course or hold an Operational Authorisation by completing a GVC course

There are a number of things to be aware of depending on what training you currently hold and how you wish to fly. To get the most out of the DJI Avata (or Avata 2) we highly recommend the A2 Certificate of Competency.



(Transitional Period until 31st December 2025)

Where Can I Fly?

A3 Subcategory of the Open Category

First, you will need to be registered under the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. This means you will need to sit the online test on the CAA’s website.

You can then fly with no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas.


A1 Transitional Provision

Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)  and fly 'closer to people with no intentional flight over uninvolved persons. There is no limitation on proximity to buildings, only people. 

You will first need to have completed the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service.

What Happens If I Have an Operational Authorisation?

Holders of an Operational Authorisation can operate the aircraft under the terms of their granted PDRA-01.


From 31st December 2025 (End of Transitional Period)

After the 31st December 2025, the A1 Transitional provisions end and you may only be able to fly the DJI Avata within the A3 Subcategory or with a valid Operational Authorisation. Updated information may be released nearer to the time so we'll update the article as soon as we have the updated guidance from the CAA