1. UAVHub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  2. What training do you need for your drone?

What drone training do I need to fly the DJI Mavic Air in the UK?

To fly the DJI Mavic Air you need do the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service and if you want to fly closer to people you need to complete the A2 CofC Drone Course or hold an Operational Authorisation by doing a GVC course

dji mavic air droen training

There are a number of things to be aware of depending on what training you currently hold and how you wish to fly. To get the most out of the DJI Mavic Air we highly recommend the A2 Certificate of Competency.



(Transitional Period until 31st December 2022)

Where Can I Fly?

A3 Subcategory of the Open Category

First, you will need to be registered under the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. This means you will need to sit the online test on the CAA’s website.

You can then fly with no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas.


A1 Transitional Provision

Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)  and fly 'closer to people with no intentional flight over uninvolved persons. There is no limitation on proximity to buildings, only people. 

You will first need to have completed the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service.

What Happens If I Have an Operational Authorisation?

Holders of an Operational Authorisation can operate the aircraft under the terms of their granted PDRA-01.


From 31st December 2022 (End of Transitional Period)

After the 31st December 2022, the A1 Transitional provisions end and you will only be able to fly the DJI Mavic Air within the A3 Subcategory or with a valid Operational Authorisation. Updated information may be released nearer to the time.