1. UAVHub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  2. What training do you need for your drone?

What drone training do I need to fly the DJI Phantom in the UK?

To fly a DJI Phantom you need to complete the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. If you want to fly closer to busier areas & people you need to complete an A2 CofC Course or a GVC Drone Course

There are a number of things to be aware of depending on what training you currently hold and how you wish to fly. To get the most out of the DJI Phantom series we highly recommend the A2 Certificate of Competency or the General VLOS Certificate.



Where Can I Fly?

A3 Subcategory of the Open Category

First, you will need to be registered under the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. This means you will need to sit the online test on the CAA’s website.

You can then fly with no uninvolved people present within the area of flight (at least 50 metres); No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas.


A2 Transitional Provision

Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)  and fly 'closer to people' as long as you maintain a minimum of 50-metre separation distance from uninvolved people and not directly overfly them. There is no limitation on proximity to buildings, only people. 

You will first need to have completed the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service.


Specific Category

If you complete a GVC Drone Course and get your Operational Authorisation from the CAA. This will allow you to fly all aircraft between 0 - 25 Kg down to 30 metres on take-off and landing and then maintain a 50-metre bubble separation around your drone from uninvolved people.

With an Operational Authorisation will be able to overfly uninvolved people.

From 31st December 2025 (End of Transitional Period)

After the 31st December 2025, the A2 Transitional provisions end and you may only be able to fly the Phantom within the A3 Subcategory. Updated information will be released nearer to the time.

If you hold an Operational Authorisation you will still be able to fly the DJI Phantom series of drones under the permissions granted at the time.


Can I fly commercially?

You can fly commercially with your drone with both the A2 CofC and/or holding an Operational Authorisation by doing a GVC course. For any commercial flights you MUST have the correct commercial insurance in place.