1. UAVHub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  2. What training do you need for your drone?

What drone training do I need to fly the DJI Spark in the UK?

To fly the DJI Spark you need do the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service and if you want to fly closer to people you need to complete the A2 CofC Drone Course

There are a number of things to be aware of depending on what training you currentlydji spark drone training hold and how you wish to fly. To get the most out of the DJI Spark we highly recommend the A2 Certificate of Competency.


Where Can I Fly?

A3 Subcategory of the Open Category

First, you will need to be registered under the CAA's Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service. This means you will need to sit the online test on the CAA’s website for the A1/A3 Flyer ID and pay £10 a year for your CAA Operator ID.

You can then fly with no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas.


A1 Transitional Provision

Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)  and fly 'closer to people with no intentional flight over uninvolved persons. There is no limitation on proximity to buildings, only people. 

You will first need to have completed the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service.

From 31st December 2025 (End of Transitional Period)

After the 31st December 2025, the A1 Transitional provisions end and you may only be able to fly the DJI Spark within the A3 Subcategory. Updated information will be released nearer to the time.