When do I need Drone Insurance?

You only need drone insurance when you are not flying for rectreational or sport use.

If you are flying drones for a hobby (recreational) you are not required by law to have Public Liability Insurance, however, it is still advisory and there are many cost-effective options on the market.

If you are operating commercially with your Drone, whether it's under an Operational Authorisation or an A2 Certificate of Competency, by law you are required to have Public Liability Insurance that is compliant with EC 785/2004.


Recommended Drone Insurance Companies:

How much can I expect to pay?

Drone insurance will vary depending on the required cover such as:

  • Amount of Public Liability
    • £0.75 million required as a minimum
  • Damage to the Drone
  • Theft or Loss of Drone

You can get Public Liability Insurance on a Pay As You Fly Basis for as little as £5, but you may not be covered against loss, theft or damage so make sure you choose a policy that is right for you.